Mauldin South Carolina History
Mauldin is a fast-growing town in northwest South Carolina and it is a corridor of booming businesses and industry that has attracted a variety of Fortune 1000 companies. Mauld in is located just a few miles north of the capital Charleston and is the perfect place to enjoy the best of the South Carolina has a lot to offer. With a population of more than 2,000 people and a dynamic economy, it is a great place with many things to do, talk to many people, visit many places and have a lot to do, with a lot to eat, drink and do. In honor of this celebration, and to look back on more than 40 years of shared history and celebrate the 50th anniversary of our city's first mayor and city council, the city and its six living mayors are bringing together their families, friends and family members from across the country for the first Mauldin City Day on Saturday, May 6.
The town of Mauldin is located just a few miles north of the capital Charleston, South Carolina. Greenville, located a few miles east and south of downtown, has many colleges and universities, including the University of North Carolina at Charleston and the College of Southern Carolina, as well as a number of other universities and colleges.
The name of the town comes from William Mauldin, who was governor of the state in 1886 and who was instrumental in the development of the railroad in the area. The city is named after William "Mauldin," who has been governor of our state since 1886.
In 1791, the state legislature established the Washington County Judicial District, which at that time consisted of Greenville and Pendleton counties, Anderson, Pickens, Oconee, Anderson and Anderson County, and the lower part became Anderson - upper part Picken. The convention also established O'Connell County from the Fort Hill estate that had previously belonged to John C. Calhoun. Oberpickens was named because of its proximity to Hopewell, which was home to the county's southern border.
Calhoun (now part of Clemson) was formed, followed by Six Mile and Norris in the early 1900s as incorporated areas. Another notable change in Pickens's landscape was the emergence of asphalt highways. Construction of Interstate 385 helped drive growth, and Mauldin's median income rose above Greenville County's. Completed in 1930, the line ran from Greenville to Valhalla and from Easley to Liberty Central.
Mauldin was one of the fastest growing cities in South Carolina, with a tenfold increase in population in the 1960s. It was the second largest city in Greenville County and the third most populous county in North Carolina.
Mauldin, SC, is located between the town of Greenville and Simpsonville, five miles from Greenville and centrally located near highways and the airport. It is recognized as one of the most desirable real estate markets in the state of South Carolina and is located on the eastern edge of North Carolina's largest metropolitan area.
In 1784, at the end of the American War of Independence, Benjamin Griffith was granted the first land assignment in the area. The area was opened for settlement in 1787 under the control of Thomas Jefferson and his brother-in-law John Hancock.
A railway station called Mauldin was built on the site of the present-day village, and the population fluctuated considerably during the First and Second World Wars. On December 24, 1890, the town of Mauldin, named after its first owner William Butler Jr., was chartered at the intersection of Butler's and the name was then applied to the entire area. In the late 1960s, Maulderin officially changed her name from a township to a city.
A bright spot in a bleak economic picture came in 1925, when the Greenville-Laurens to Mauldin road was paved and eventually became US Highway 276. The city was so poor that it was destroyed when prices fell sharply in the 1930s. Because the South Carolina government could not afford to pay enough money to reliably make it legal tender, land was given away to former soldiers from across the state. Many residents of Old Pickens and Keowee moved from their dismantled homes to the newly created city, and a new Picken County courthouse was built at its current location.
The South Carolina Constitutional Convention of 1868, which convened in the first year of Congress's reconstruction, changed the district's name from a state to a district. The petitioners cited the Charleston-Savannah Railroad as a dividing line that runs from Beaufort County to Mauldin County. There was a part of the city in Beau Forte County, another part in Picken County and another part in Greenville County.
The Atlanta-Charlotte Air Line Railroad, later known as Southern Railway, accelerated the county's growth. Named after Lt. Governor W.L. Mauldin, who helped bring new people and businesses to the community. After years of prosperity after the war, so many people moved to the quiet rural surroundings of Maulderin that it became an official town again in the 1960s.